One of the main reasons anyone would own a Shopify store is to generate sales. However, no matter how much you might want to sell, sales come when you properly optimize your site for search.
For this reason, SEO writing is essential for any eCommerce store because it will help your potential customers discover your site and your products.
This article will cover some useful SEO tips for beginners who want to optimize their Shopify site properly for search engines. By the end of this article, you should be able to effectively improve your Shopify store’s search engine’s ranking, as well as increase traffic and sales.
Tips for effective SEO writing for beginners
1) Perform keyword research
Perhaps one of the most fundamental tips for SEO writing is keyword research. In SEO research, keywords help your users find your products. It also helps search engines understand your content better. The better they understand it, the easier it will be for them to show it to the right audience.
Performing keyword research will help you;
- Identify the right keywords to use for your products.
- Discover the keywords your competitors are using, and distinguish which is useful to your store.
- Find out the keywords people are using to search for products like yours.
- Discover how much competition particular keywords have. This will help you settle on the keywords that give you the best conversion.
- Identify how many people are using particular keywords per month, etc.
There are so many benefits of performing keyword research for your Shopify store.
Some tips for carrying out keyword research;
- Create a buyer persona. Put yourself in your customers’ shoes. This will help you identify what kind of keywords they are using in their searches.
- Use online forums in your research to discover the keywords people use with your products.
- Make use of social media to discover the latest trends as they affect your products.
A great tip for finding keywords; you don’t have to pick just words. You can use phrases people use when searching for products like yours.
After discovering the keywords for your Shopify store, you can leverage these keywords in your store. Alternatively, you can make use of keywords research tools to help you find the right keywords. Some of them include; Keywords Explorer,Ubersuggest, and Google Keyword Planner.
2) Build links for your Shopify store
Backlinks are essential for successful organic traffic. Studies have shown that the more backlinks a page has, the higher their organic traffic will be.
Backlinks give search engines a sense of credibility and help search engines trust your store.
Here are a few tips for using backlinks in your search engine optimization writing;
- Carry out detailed research on the sites your competitors’ stores are linking to. This will give you insights on relevant sites you might be missing out on.
- Make use of backlinking tools at your disposal to find sites relevant to your store, so you don’t miss out on them.
- Reach out to sites relevant to your products, ask them to link to content on your page, and share relevant links they could use in their linking.
- Include outbound links and internal links in your site’s content.
These are a few tips for using backlinking in your SEO writing. They are an invaluable tool and are essential for the success of your search optimization.
3) Optimize your site images for search
The thing about search engines is that they can’t read images, so you have to help them. You help them by doing a few of these things;
- Use only the appropriate image format and size. Generally, large images increase a site’s load time and speed, making search engines rank these sites lower on their search engines. By keeping images small, you optimize them for search.
- Try converting your images to JPEGs if they are in PNG. This is because JPEGs are usually smaller than PNGs
- You can also make use of image optimization apps like TinyIMG SEO Image Optimizer. These apps will help you optimize your images and automate some of the tasks involved with image optimization.
- The Shopify platform has an image sitemap to help Google find your images; however, their map only includes one picture per product and doesn’t contain metadata. Therefore, try using an image Sitemap app. This will help you get more of your images indexed. It can also build, monitor, and even update the XML sitemaps for your store’s images.
4) Content writing
One of the essential things that a Shopify site needs is content. But not just any kind of content, search engine optimized content. Your content should be attractive, engaging, and it should appeal to your target audience.
One mistake Shopify store owners make is copy and pasting product content and description. This is an inefficient way of reaching the right audience and trust us, it pays to invest in good search engine optimized content.
Please note that it isn’t just your product content you should be optimizing, also optimize;
- Company information page.
- Contact us page.
Other things you can do to optimize the content on your store for search include;
- Getting rid of duplicate content and broken links: Search engines don’t like repetitive content, so clearing that up can help you rank higher on search engines. Also, a broken link can push you down search engines, so get rid of that as well.
- Blogging: This is an excellent way to drive your target audience to your site by creating relevant search engine optimized content on your blog. When people share the content on your blog and interact with it, it lets search engines know that your content is valuable. They then push you up in ranking, so more people can be in touch with your valuable content.
SEO writing for beginners can be confusing at first, but you get the hang of it over time. Remember that one of a Shopify site’s critical goals is to boost sales, so it is essential to use this article to optimize your site for search.
Tiffany Porter has been working as a Chief Writer at Online Writers Rating reviewing a variety of writing services websites. She is a professional writing expert on such topics as digital marketing, blogging, design. She also provides consultations and creates expert writing materials for the Best Writers Online review website.